Brewton City Schools
811 Belleville Avenue - Brewton, Alabama 36426
(251) 867-8400 Phone (251) 867-8403 Fax
Mrs. Heidi Knapp, Director of Programs
Under ESSA, Sec. 1112(c)(6), each local educational agency (LEA) supported with Title I funds will ensure that all teachers and paraprofessionals working in a program supported under this part meet applicable state certification and licensure requirements, including any requirements for certification obtained through alternative routes to certification.
Under ESSA, Sec. 1112(e)(1)(A). at the beginning of each school year, Brewton City Schools, shall notify parents that they may request, and the Brewton City Schools will provide on request and in a timely manner, information regarding the professional qualifications of the student’s classroom teachers, including:
- Whether the student’s teacher:
- Has met state qualifications and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction,
- Is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which state qualifications or licensing criteria have been waived, or
- Is teaching in the field of discipline of the certification of the teacher
- Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications including state requirements:
- Secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent
- Completed two years of study at an institution of higher education,
- Obtained an associate’s (or higher) degree, or
- Passed the Work Keys Assessment
- ESSA, Sec 1112(e)(1)(B) additional information. In addition to the information that parents may request under subparagraph (A), a school that receives funds under this part shall provide to each individual parent of a child who is a student in such school, with respect to such student:
- Information on the level of achievement and academic growth of the student, if applicable and available, on each of the state academic assessments required under this part.
- Timely notice that the student has been assigned or has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who does not meet applicable state certification or licensure requirements at the grade level and subject area in which the teacher has been assigned.
If a parent is interested in requesting information regarding their child’s teacher(s) qualifications, they may contact the Administrative Assistant, Mrs. Carol Reeves, at Brewton City Schools Central Office. The information may be requested via telephone or by letter. The information will be provided to the parent within ten working days after receiving the request. The information will be mailed to the student’s home address.
This plan will be reviewed and revised, if necessary, each year.
This plan is effective beginning August 1, 2016.